Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service is urging all property owners who use an open fire or wood burning stove to include their chimney on their spring cleaning list this year.
The weather may be warmer but the Service has seen no let up in chimney fires, having attended six in the last week.
Chimney fires can develop quickly. In thatch properties in particular, extreme temperatures in the chimney can result in thatch igniting causing rapid fire spread throughout the roof.
Community Safety Officer Paul Francis said: “Now that the weather is warmer a chimney fire may seem unlikely but these fires can have devastating effects.
“Chimney fires in all types of properties can usually be prevented. Our advice is to get your chimney inspected and checked regularly by a registered chimney sweep and this will help prevent a fire.”
The Service saw a number of devastating thatch property fires during the early spring months of last year – many of which could have been prevented had the property owners taken some simple preventative measures such as sweeping their chimney.
For further information regarding chimney safety or to request a copy of our Thatch Information Pack, please visit hantsfire.gov.uk/chimneyfire.